I am a fond believer in preventative medicine and therefore encourage my clients to exercise, eat a healthy and balanced diet, and do an annual physical exam to maintain their health. Today I would like to talk about the concept of“preventative” aging for your skin.
In the case of skin care, taking preventive measures is certainly always the best strategy for preserving the youthful glow and texture of your skin well beyond your 20’s. If preventing the aging process is a concern on your mind as it has been for me since I was in my 20’s, try these ten tips:
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate the skin cells and support collagen that keeps skin smooth and youthful. Carry a water bottle around with you or take a mental break and go to the water cooler at work every 1-2 hours. Likewise, avoid or cut down on things that will dehydrate your skin, like caffeine and alcohol. If you are going to have caffeine, choose green tea which has only 1/3 the caffeine as the same amount of coffee and is also rich in antioxidants.
- UV A/B rays can cause serious damage to the skin, so avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. If you must go out in the sun, be sure to protect yourself with a hat, sunglasses and a broad spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 30.
- Eat foods rich in anti-oxidants such as blueberries, blackberries, spinach and kale. These foods also contain plentiful levels of Vitamin A, C and E, which promote healthy and beautiful skin.
- Keep your skin cells moisturized and strong by choosing meals rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon and walnuts.
- Smoking can add years and wrinkles to one’s appearance, accelerating the normal aging process. Avoid smoking to keep your youthful glow for years. If you need help with quitting, speak to your primary care physician as there are many ways to help you quit.
- Avoid sleeping on your face, as it can cause wrinkles due to the compression of your face on the pillow case leading to lack of blood flow in that area during sleep. Do your best to sleep on your back or use a satin pillow case.
- On the topic of sleep – a good night of sleep can do wonders for skin care. Lack of sleep leads to an elevation of cortisol, a hormone that leads to damage of skin cells amongst other things. Life is busy, but try to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night. Try to detox from all your electronic devices 2 hours before bedtime.
- Exfoliate regularly to remove dead skin cells and keep up a fresh appearance. After summer, make sure to get a series of chemical peels to help aid in this process.
- Stress can cause frown lines which make you look as though you are constantly upset, and can also raise your cortisol level which damages your skin cells. Find ways to reduce your stress such as taking a nice walk in the park, yoga, meditation, or any activity you enjoy even if it is for five minutes…it can do wonders!
- Dry skin will become damaged skin, so always make time to moisturize at least twice a day even in the summer. If you are prone to acne or have sensitive skin, use a lightweight or sensitive skin moisturizer. Skinmedica has an excellent line of products for sensitive skin which we carry at Anand Medical Spa!
Of course, if you are already suffering from progressive signs of aging such as deep furrows or other lines that have been etched in already, Botox and/or dermal fillers can help erase or soften these lines as well.