My mother has been a tremendous source of inspiration in my life and is the reason I incorporated the concept of wellness into my practice. I still remember the first meditation retreat we attended together four years ago around Mother’s Day at Peace Village in New York. My mother had been speaking of this retreat and wanting to go for months. Imagine her surprise when I finally arranged to take her to the place about which she had spoken so often and with such passion!
I was equally excited to spend an entire weekend of spiritually based activity with my best friend, my mother. We arose early each morning, did tai chi (a new discipline for me) and ate a healthy breakfast, followed by seminars and many opportunities for meditation in between. At the end of the day, we shared meditation walks along beautifully wooded paths, bathed in the light of the setting sun.
I am grateful to my best friend, my Mother for:
- Being my Rock-the one person in the world I know I can always count on
- For teaching me that whatever I do in my life, if I do it with integrity, I can never go wrong
- For introducing me to meditation/spirituality, and reminding me of the importance of self-care, above all else
- For teaching me the importance of service and giving back
- For often reminding me that the only person we can improve or change is ourselves
- For teaching me the art of cooking and the many times she cooked for me while I was in medical school, residency, and while studying for exams when I had no time to cook for myself
- For teaching me the importance of humility and patience through her beautiful example
- For loving me and being patient with me during my most challenging times
- For teaching me to see the best in others even during challenging interactions with them, and to help others be their best by sending positive thoughts in their direction
For reinforcing that the purpose of life is to become the best version of ourselves, and to help others through our gifts.You may have similar unique memories of your Mother. Whatever your experience, it is with great joy that we dedicate this day to our Moms-those past and present, our “surrogate” Moms and all of those who have brought the most positive qualities of Motherhood into our lives.Share