After a brutal winter, and an unpredictable spring, the “dog darn days” of summer are finally here, and the weather has been pretty stable so far!!!
- Apply Sunscreen Regularly: One of the biggest risk factors that accelerate the aging process and leads to wrinkles and sagging skin is exposure to harmful UV A/B rays from the sun. Do not simply apply sunscreen just once in the morning; keep applying it throughout the day as it perspires off. Reapply sunscreen every 2-3 hours on a normal summer day, or right after swimming or sweating excessively. Ideally, wait half an hour after applying before exposing yourself to the sun. Use a sunscreen with broad spectrum coverage and an SPF of at least 30 to protect the uncovered areas of your body including your neck and declotege which people often forget.
Ask us about our Skinmedica Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen, a light non-comedogenic, PABA-free, and fragrance-free sunscreen which contains Zinc Oxide which is excellent for sensitive skin.Also, make sure to protect your lips and use a lip balm with at least SPF 30 coverage to protect your lips.
- Stay out of the sun between peak hours of 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, if possible. Of course if this is not possible, see my tip below.
- Appropriate Accessories and Clothes: Avoid sunscreen to close to the eyes. Protect your eyes and the delicate skin around them by wearing sunglasses with UV A & B protection. This will help to prevent unsightly crows-feet wrinkles around your eyes. The sunglasses should block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays. Check the label to make sure it says “UV absorption up to 400 nm” or “Meets ANSI UV Requirements.” Cosmetic lenses that are not labeled only block 70% of UV rays. If you are going to be spending all day at the beach and/or walking all day in the sun, invest in a wide-brimmed hat and also sun-protecitve clothing for extra coverage.
- Safe Tan: I know we all love the glow of having a tan, but rather than baking under the sun to achieve a tan, and thus putting yourself at risk for sun burns and skin cancer, opt for an organic spray tan that lasts over a week!
- Hydrate: Drink at least eight glasses of water per day. This can also be calculated more accurately as half of your weight in ounces. If you weigh 120 lbs., then drink at least 60 ounces of water each day. This will nourish your cells and keep them plump and healthy.
Now if you already have fine lines or wrinkles, a quick five minute Botox injection can treat and prevent further wrinkles from forming.
If you already have loose, sagging skin, a revolutionary, non-invasive FDA approved treatment called Ultherapy can help tighten and lift the skin around the face, neck, chin, and eyebrows by stimulating your own bodies collagen. See our promotion below on any Ultherapy treatment.
In addition, a quick 15 minute dermal filler treatment can help fill areas such as smile lines, or your cheeks to help you get back your youthful appearance.
Schedule a complimentary consultation directly with me to discuss the above procedures and see how they can help you. Enjoy your summer at the beach or the park or doing whatever you fancy, but make sure to protect your skin!!!