When I was younger, I suffered from terrible acne and really did not understand that in addition to the medications my doctor prescribed, exfoliation was key to preventing further breakouts.
Now, I do a series of three chemical peels in the fall and three in the spring to help maintain my skin. In between these regular peels, I use a wonderful topical product called Lytera or Retin-a which both help to exfoliate my skin over time.
So why is exfoliation so vital for your skincare?
- Reduces skin discoloration, such as sunspots, age spots, and patchy discoloration called melasma.
- Keeps your pores from clogging by buffing the dead skin away; thus, keeping acne under control. When your pores get clogged up with dead skin cells, oils from your skin can get trapped beneath the surface, causing pimples.
- Fights the signs of aging. As we get older, our skin’s natural ability to shed dead skin cells slows down. Dead and dull skin cells, along with collagen loss, leads to fine lines, wrinkles and cause dry skin to stand out even more.
- Improves the texture of your skin, and keeps the skin soft and glowing.
- Helps skin care products penetrate more deeply. If you have layers of dead skin piled up, the skin care product might not be able to penetrate your skin. Exfoliate regularly so your skin care products get a chance to really sink in and work on your skin!